Right Honorable Herb Gray Parkway
Amico completed a $22M Early Works contract to prepare the Right Honourable Herb Gray Parkway site and facilitate work activities in advance of the Major Works for the project. The Parkway is a once-in-a-generation, major infrastructure project in Windsor, Ontario. Construction consisted of a 7 km, 6-lane below-grade freeway extension of Highway 401, a 4 km four-lane at-grade service road network, and 300 acres of green space, including 20 km of recreational trails and ecological restoration.
The project includes 12 cut-and-cover tunnels, 15 bridges, 2 siphon stormwater management structures and several box culverts and drain crossings. The freeway portion of the project is below grade, has no traffic signals and is fully illuminated. Amico’s scope of work on the Parkway Early Works project included: Excavation, Road Building, Utilities, Drainage and Hydrology Engineering, and was also required to provide all resources, including labour, materials and equipment to deliver the scope of work.
In addition to being the major civil subcontractor for the Right Honourable Herb Gray Parkway, Amico was also retained to construct several unique structures on the project. Amico was responsible for undertaking specialist concrete work for the new bridge construction of a 401-series highway, very specialized, rigid frame structure, approximately 14m x 190m x 5.5m high with cast-in-place concrete. All works were performed in accordance with OPSS and MTO requirements, as well as all other statutory/legal obligations
Amico was also required to provide all resources, including labour, materials and equipment to deliver the scope of work. The scope of work included:
- Poured concrete integral abutment structure with poured in place deck;
- Dewatering for abutment construction;
- Installing precast girders and precast deck panels;
- Forming/placing over 3,095m3 of reinforced concrete;
- Jacking bridge up and moving bearings up and down, which required project specific, specialized procedure;
- Safe design, installation and removal of all formwork, falsework, and access platforms as required for the project; and
- Coordination of reinforcement subcontractors, concrete suppliers, concrete pump suppliers, and all other trades involved in the successful delivery of the structure.
Awards and Recognition
The Parkway was honored with TAC Technical Excellence Award, The Ministry of Transportation, Ontario (MTO) was honored with a 2016 Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) Technical Excellence for Environmental Achievement Award for the Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway – A Parkway in a Prairie project. The award recognizes exemplary
contributions in the environmental area with respect to transportation services that have contributed to the protection and enhancement of the environment.